Why a Strong Core is Important
The core is made up of many muscles that wrap around the center of our body and build our foundation, connecting the top half to the bottom half of our bodies. Building and maintaining a healthy foundation in your body starts with having a strong core. Inside the core is the central nervous system and inner organs, keeping this area in tact makes living everyday life easier, pain free, and strong.
When your core is weak it has a ripple effect that impairs the rest of your body. For example, a weak core can hinder the function of your arms and legs making your whole body virtually powerless. Learn why you need to enhance your core and make it stronger:
- Better Balance: the core is what stabilizes the whole body. It gives the ability to move in any direction and decreases the chances of falling, leading to potential injury.
- Decrease Back Pain: with 80% of Americans experiencing back pain at some point in their lives, it seems inevitable that it will occur in your life, but it does not have to. Weak abdominal muscles often mean back muscles are too strong. By doing core strengthening exercises, the likelihood of experiencing back pain can decrease.
- Proper Posture: when the core muscles are not strong, it leads to slouching which can cause wear and tear on the spine. A stronger core means a more confident stride and a healthier body overall.
- Everyday Tasks: bending, twisting, lifting, and carrying heavy objects are all dependent on the core being strong. Plus, did you know a strong core makes everyday tasks much easier?
- Playing Sports: the reason why professional athletes in tennis, biking, golfing, swimming, running, volleyball, kayaking, baseball, and other athletic activities are great at what they do is because they have a strong, stable core to support them. These sports cannot be played without it.
If you are having back pain, trouble accomplishing everyday tasks, or balance issues, the Physical Therapists at Fusion Rehabilitation can teach you and work with you on how to strengthen your core muscles and get back to enjoying everyday life. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.